Kino Euphoria Midnight Sun 2013 - Call for participants
CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS
The call ended 25 March 2013. We received 174 applications. No more applications, thank you. The selections will be communicated to the applicants by 1 April.
Kino Euphoria Midnight Sun
- Sound & Film -
Looking for 52 filmmakers to join a Kino Kabaret and a workshop on film sound & music in Lapland, Finland. Kino Euphoria Midnight Sun is a film workshop to be held in June 2013, in co-operation with NISI MASA and The Midnight Sun Film Festival in Sodankylä
Dates: 4-15 June 2013 in Rovaniemi and Sodankylä, Finnish Lapland.
(travel days are 3. June and 16. June)
The workshop will focus on sound design and music in film.
During the workshop, 12 young European sound designers and/or composers will be receiving professional feedback and tutoring through practical filmmaking. In addition to the sound designers and composers, 40 other participants from other areas of filmmaking are welcome to join the experience.
All participants will be included in programs on sound design and use of music, along the traditional activities of an International Kino Kabaret, where we'll be creating short films by collective filmmaking, and screening them to the local audiences in Rovaniemi and Sodankylä.
Important about how it goes:
CONTENT AND WORKING STYLE:
- We will work in sessions of 60 hours + one day for music & sound design. In the beginning of each session we all get together and filmmakers willing to direct shall come forward to present their idea for a short film to be made in 60+ hours. After each director has shared their idea and needs (example "I'd need a cinematorgapher and someone who knows anything about animation" or "I'd need 2 actors and a bathtub"), we divide into working groups. We start making the films by helping each other out, and after 60 hours + one day of sound design & music, we present the films perfectly fresh to the local audience.
- The familiar Kino Kabaret production style will be modified in such a way that after the 60 h time period to finish a film, the material will be handed over to the sound designers and composers for a full day to work on. This is to guarantee a working and learning peace for the sound designers and composers.
- Likewise the aim in all film productions in this special Kabaret will be trying to think of the sound design and use of music already in the planning and shooting stages.
- The workshop in Rovaniemi and Sodankylä will require effort from each participant to facilitate the filmmaking and practical arrangements. We make the movies together and help each other out, but every one of us will also contribute to the daily tasks regarding accommodation, food and cleaning arrangements.
- Altogether 52 participants will be selected to join the Kabaret.
- The event is not a competition nor a battle against time. Our aim is to
create new collaborations and experiment in new fields and methods of
filmmaking. We may not have the shiny budget, but we have each other to
create what we want. Anything can and will happen on the screen.
PARTICIPATION FEE AND WHAT YOU GET:
The participation fee for Kino Euphoria Midnight Sun is 60 euros. We will collect the fee from all confirmed participants well in advance to cover organizing expences. The participation fee will cover accommodation (though it might be just floor accommodation, and you need your own sleeping bag & mattress) at Rovaniemi and Sodankylä. The fee also covers breakfast, basic drinks and snacks every day, and a bus transfer from Rovaniemi to Sodankylä (8 June) and Sodankylä-Rovaniemi (16 June). The distance between Rovaniemi and
Sodankylä is 130 km.
TRAVEL EXPENSES AND TRAVELLING:
Each participant will be in charge of their own travel expenses to Rovaniemi, exept for the following lucky ones:
50 % travel support up to 100 euros to:
3 participants from Finland
3 participants from Estonia
3 participants from Lithuania and
3 participants from Germany.
The supported participants will be selected by the board of Euphoria
Borealis ry based on the workshop applications. Priority will
be given to sound designers and composers.
To find your way to Rovaniemi, here are some hints:
Flights: norwegian.com (flies Helsinki-Rovaniemi with decent prices). Also finnair.fi flies to Rovaniemi.
Train: www.vr.fi (offers for example the night-train experience Helsinki-Rovaniemi)
Or: http://www.onnibus.fi/ (not all the way to Rovaniemi, but you might get closer to Lapland with a ridicilous price)
The project is supported by Youth in Action progamme of the European Union.
MON 3.6. travelling to Rovaniemi
I KINO SESSION Ceci n'est pas une pipe (Rovaniemi)
TUE 4.6. 11:00am Rovaniemi - 1st session starts
WED 5.6. - THU 6.6. filming and editing
FRI 7.6. sound-day
19:00pm 1st screening, Rovaniemi
SAT 8.6. travelling from Rovaniemi to Sodankylä
II KINO SESSION Déjà vu (Sodankylä)
SUN 9.6. 11:00am 2nd session starts
MON 10.6. - TUE 11.6. filming and editing
WED 12.6. sound-day
Midnight Sun Film Festival starts
2nd screening at the festival, in the evening/night
III KINO SESSION Carte Rouge (Sodankylä)
THU 13.6. 11:00am 3rd session starts
FRI 14.6. filming and editing
SAT 15.6. 3rd screening at the film festival, in the evening/night
SUN 16.6. departing Sodankylä
ABOUT THE LOCATIONS
From Wednesday 12 June onwards our Kabaret will take place at the same time as the Midnight Sun Film Festival. It was founded in 1988 by filmmakers Anssi Mänttäri, Aki Kaurismäki and Mika Kaurismäki. The festival director since the first edition has been the Finnish Cinema Legend Peter von Bagh. The film festival has a very unique atmosphere where films are screened all through the night, and the midnight sun shines whether you exit the screening tent at noon or three in the morning.
The already established mix up with the young filmmaker guests, and festival audience coming from the South of Finland, mixes with the locals from Sodankylä. Some former quests of the Midnight Sun Film Festival include Samuel Fuller, Jim Jarmusch,
Agnès Varda, Wim Wenders, Francis Ford Coppola, Abbas Kiarostami,
Samira Makhmalbaf and Apichatpong Weerasethakul.
DEADLINES AND NUMBERS:
The maximum number of participants to Kino Euphoria Midnight Sun is 52.
Deadline to send your application is 25 March.
The selected participants will be informed by 1 April.
Please note that in case of selection you will have to confirm your participation by paying the participation fee of 60 euros to the bank account of Euphoria Borealis by 15 April.
After 15 April a possible second round of applications will be on, in case there are free spots left.
The early selection procedure is to give you the change to find affordable transport to Rovaniemi.
The registration is closed for 2013.